Episode 60: Cannabis And Obesity
Cannabis And Obesity
Marijuana has piqued the interest of the medical community for its benefits in various medical conditions. With the recent legalization of marijuana for recreational use in several states here in the US, it would be extremely helpful to dig deep into what direct impacts marijuana has on obesity. Dr. Rachna Patel, a well-known specialist in the field of cannabinoid medicine joins us to shed light on this topic.
Join us in this conversation with Dr. Rachna Patel and learn:
- How the THC in cannabinoids impact the appetite center
- Research/studies about “munchies”
- Synthetic and plant-derived cannabinoids
- Side effects experienced using synthetic cannabinoids
- Studies on the relationship between cannabis and obesity, insulin resistance, and diabetes
- Why Rimonabant was taken out of the market
- Specific conditions that benefit from treatment with Marijuana
- Differences between the effects of CBD and THC
- What happens during the therapeutic range and toxic dosing range
How THC Impacts Appetite:
- When THC interacts with cannabinoid receptors, it increases ghrelin – a hormone that increases the appetite.
- It stimulates the olfactory bulb, which causes food to taste and smell better.
- A subset of neurons (Proopiomelanocortin) is activated in the hypothalamus, and beta-endorphins (which stimulate appetite and cravings) are released.
Side Effects Experienced Using Synthetic Cannabinoids:
What studies on the Relationship between Cannabis and Obesity show:
- Marijuana users consumed about 600kcal per day more than non-marijuana users, but there was no increase in BMI.
- The obesity rate in non-users is around 22-25.3%, and the obesity rate in users ranges from 14-17.2%.
- Similar to the first study, marijuana users had a greater caloric intake than the non-users, but their BMI was lower than the non-users.
Effects of Marijuana During:
- Therapeutic range:
- Appetite stimulation
- Reduction of nausea/vomiting
- Toxic dose range:
- Auditory/visual hallucinations,
“The cannabinoid system plays a very important role in mood—in our daily mood functioning.”
Don’t forget to leave a review.
Thank you for listening to another episode of Decoding Obesity!