Episode 72: Personal Stories- Nissa Graun
Personal Stories- Nissa Graun
Nissa Graun is a mom of two who had been following various mainstream diets since 12 years old. She has lost and regained the same 20 to 50 pounds repeatedly over a 20-year period. Suffering from chronic health problems like migraines, sinus infections, and cystic acne—with depression and anxiety, too—she knew she needed to make a change when she was also diagnosed with gestational diabetes after her first pregnancy. She has lost over 100 pounds, which she’s now kept off for 5 years and counting. Her chronic conditions also vanished, has more energy than ever and has no trouble maintaining what she’d lost.
She has since written 5 books, hosts the Chat the Fat podcast with the author who helped her get started, and put together courses and challenges to teach others how to eat fat and get healthy with a low carb lifestyle, which includes keto, intermittent fasting, and improved digestion.
Tune in to my conversation with Nissa and learn:
- How Nissa started dieting at the age of 12 and got addicted to junk food
- How she was suffering from a ton of health symptoms growing up due to years of yo-yo dieting
- How Nissa tried to keep up with the calories in versus calories out diets but was never able to sustain weight loss
- Various diets Nissa tried including Slimfast, Weight Watchers, Jenny Craig, LA weight loss, and Atkins, and how that impacted her overall psyche with regards to weight loss
- Her struggles in losing weight six months after her first pregnancy and having high blood sugar levels still
- What finally worked for Nissa and allowed her to lose 65 pounds after her first pregnancy and a total of 110 pounds after her second pregnancy
- Why Nissa decided to take baby steps
- How she started with low carb and digestion, and the eventual pattern was keto and intermittent fasting.
- Tracking her macros and how many carbs she was intaking
- How she managed her cravings for junk food and highly processed food
- Keeping tab of being in a state of ketosis and going by the way Nissa feels
- How Nissa adjusts to having other family members and living in a carb-heavy world
- Quitting sugar cold turkey versus or gradually decreasing the amount of sugar Nissa was eating
- Nissa talks about the Chat the Fat Podcast and how it came about
Things that Helped Nissa Start Out in Her Low Carb and Intermittent Fasting:
- Take baby steps.
- Start with having 25 grams of carbs per meal.
- Write down the food you’re eating in a journal and the approximate carbs that are in it.
- Work on your digestion.
“It’s a very individualized approach when it comes to weight loss, something that may not work for you. It may work for somebody else.” – Dr. Avishkar Sabharwal
“The act of just writing down what you’re eating. I think it gives people like 50% better results. There are studies that show that. And for me, it actually did, that’s the thing that kept me on track.” – Nissa Graun
Don’t forget to leave a review.
Thank you for listening to another episode of Decoding Obesity!